Nordic Journal of Childlit Aesthetics is an international open access journal. The aim of the journal is to develop cross-disciplinary discussions on children’s literature and its interaction with other art forms.
We are currently inviting contributions to a discussion on inter- and transmedial aesthetics of children’s literature.
Children’s literature has always combined several forms of expression, such as words, images and sounds, as well as formed relations across media. However, contemporary media culture has increased the ways in which literary narratives can be experienced as inter- and transmedial, a fact which calls for renewed perspectives on the aesthetics of children’s literature.
The Nordic Journal of ChildLit Aesthetics invites scholars to explore questions such as, but not limited to:
- How does children’s literature interact with different artforms such as film, theater, music, sculpture, toys, and play practices?
- How does the interplay between different forms of expression (such as text, picture, sound, film, animation, ludic elements etc.) create meaning in specific works of children’s literature?
- What characterizes the aesthetics of literary characters or specific genres moving across media?
- How can contemporary (media) theory renew our understanding of the history of children’s literature?
- How do new forms of transmedial children’s literature challenge established categories and concepts, such as fiction, picturebooks, the implied child reader, etc.?
- How can reception studies challenge and alter our current view of the aesthetics of children’s literature?
These and other questions may be addressed through such theoretical concepts as intermediality and transmediality (Elleström, Rajewsky), transmedia studies (Jenkins, Tosca & Klastrup, Dena), adaptation (Bruhn, Gjelsvik), children’s media and reception (Mackey), imagetext (Mitchell), iconotext (Hallberg, Nikolajeva & Scott), transmedia narratology (Ryan, Thon) and book history (McGann).
We invite abstract submissions of around 350 words outlining the article’s central problem statement and its core theoretical underpinnings. Abstract submission deadline: April 1st, 2023.
Notification of acceptance will be e-mailed to submitters by latest May 1st, 2023. The deadline for the submission of the full article (30,000 characters including spaces) is November 1st, 2023. Articles will be published in 2024.
Submit your abstracts to the series editors:
Nordic Journal of Childlit Aesthetics accepts articles in Norwegian, Danish, Swedish and English. The journal uses double-blind review and publishes articles continuously. For more information, see: https://www.idunn.no/journal/blft
The journal is designated scientific level 1 in NSD (Norway), the Danish Ministry of Higher Education and Science’s Authorization list for serials (Denmark), and in Publication Forum (Finland).